Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Looking Back, Going Forward

This is the traditional time of year to look back at the year that was, and look forward and plan for the year to come. I have to admit I'm not sad to see the back of 2007. I really do normally make a conscious effort not to spend to much time looking back; I guess I think that too much time dwelling on the past is a good way to drown the present.

2007 was the year of my diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis, Holly's diagnosis of hip dysplasia and Mikey? Well, he only got one more measly point (is that boy ever going to finish?). And I've spent a fortune this year on both dental care and prescriptions. Finances have been a constant worry that nagged in the back of my mind all year, starting in February with literally thousands spent on dental care (with one tooth that still needs additional work and has been in a temporary crown since February of last year) and then mid-way through the year the addition of Enbrel and other medications, to the tune of ~$380 per month.

I guess it's not entirely surprising that I'm feeling a bit negative, as the year has ended on a particularly low note; sick as can be, and missing my trip to the river, and spending entirely too much time without (human) company as I have just been too sick to get out at all.

So, what are my big plans for 2008? If January is any indication, this will be the year of the dog. January 5 Holly is entered in an obedience trial (Rally Advanced and Novice Wildcard, just the one day), January 12 & 13 Mikey is entered in his first agility trial, and then January 26 & 27 Mikey is entered in another agility trial. I'm really hoping this year will be filled with lots of dog related fun and lots of fun dog related people.

And, the Enbrel does seem to be worth it's ridiculous cost; I've been feeling better the past few weeks than I have in a couple of years, which has made everything from work to agility to just everyday life a lot easier, and occasionally, a lot more fun. And my company is planning on changing insurance companies (although they are taking their bloody time making up their minds), so I can hope that my overall costs for my prescriptions will come down (oh please, please, please. . .).

Happy New Year to everybody!

Currently reading 'The Secret Life of Josephine: Napoleon's Bird of Paradise' by Carolly Erickson

Holly and Mikey say 'Hi'.

From the river trip last year.

1 comment:

manymuddypaws said...

I hope the next year is better for you. Great Picture by the way!