Saturday, January 12, 2008

All the Stuff I Forgot

Last week turned out to be much busier than I realized at the time, so here's a brief overview of all the (semi) dog related stuff I forgot to mention.

First, obviously I'm not at an agility trial today. After waiting and waiting to get some kind of confirmation of my entry, I finally sent an e-mail to the trial secretary on Monday. She called me back Monday night to say that she had never received my entry!?! DoG only knows what happened. . . I do have confirmation of my entry for the trial the weekend of Jan. 26, so I guess that will be our first trial. My dad and Meg are also entered in that trial.

Next, for the few locals that read my blog, a non-dog related item. The Fox co-anchor for the 9 p.m. news here in Houston was at our company on Wednesday (and was there late, so I missed agility class last week). She interviewed our CEO and a film crew came around filming several of us working. Our company's blood serum diagnostic test for the early detection of breast cancer will be highlighted on a segment scheduled for the 9 p.m. news on Monday, January 14th. I expect that the segment will be available on-line after the telecast, and I'll try to get a link to it here. On the other hand, we had a similar segment on the local ABC channel about our work with Parkinson's disease, and I sooo did not enjoy seeing myself on TV! I guess you would have to have a pretty high opinion of yourself (or be nearly perfect), not to cringe at how you look on camera.

Lastly, I have resigned from the Board of Directors for the Bluebonnet club. I have been agonizing over this for a while. When I originally agreed to join the board a little over a year and a half ago, I did not have full blown rheumatoid arthritis, and was really excited about the prospect of being a voice for the pet/performance Cardigan owner. I have missed more board meetings than I am comfortable with in the past year, and was going to miss another one this past Monday as I was still pretty low with the sinus infection/bronchitis that came after my flu over the holidays. I really had intended to serve through the end of my term in November of this year. Although a meeting of the board every couple of months doesn't seem like much of a commitment, at the end of the work day I'm more often than not pretty wiped out, and these meetings inevitably ended up on days that I was feeling pretty crummy. With most every other 'commitment' I have (other than work) bowing out is always an option if I'm hurting a lot and feeling exhausted. Obviously, work has to come before everything else, because how else could I pay for all those lovely, more expensive than 14K gold, prescriptions?

And additionally, as time went on, I came to realize that this is really a club for breeders, with little to no interest (outside of myself) in the perspective of pet or performance owners. To be perfectly honest, I felt like I wasn't making a real contribution to the club, and I have become pretty disillusioned with the breed ring in general, and which I may or may not blog about at a later date.

Between my guilt every time I missed a meeting, and an overall feeling that I was never going to make any kind of difference by serving on the board, I felt that resigning was the best option for me. I sent a very polite e-mail to all the members of the board, citing only that I didn't feel like I could continue to make a contribution due to my health problems. I realize that some may have been a bit miffed that I resigned with almost another year left to serve, and that now they will have to hunt someone down mid-term; but ya' know, I felt like I had a personal relationship with a least a few of them and only one person on the entire board responded to my e-mail AT ALL!?!

Currently reading, 'The Witching Hour' by Anne Rice.

Holly and Mikey say 'Hi'.

No comments: