Friday, June 22, 2007

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

The ugly is what I'm waiting up for tonight. Channel 11 (CBS) here in Houston came last week and filmed a news segment about my company's research in neurodegenerative diseases. Since they spent some of their time filming me doing protein analysis, there's a chance I may see myself on tv. Not sure if I'm exciting about it, or dreading it. . .

The good is the fun I had with Mikey last night at agility. Neither Mikey or I were really 'on' last night, but we had a great time. I think I'm really going to enjoy the new instructor, R. She's really upbeat and positive, and really good too; she has been a member of the World Team several times. Mikey and I didn't sync like we do sometimes, but we did improve the second time we ran the course. I got to try out the new braces too. The braces are adjustable, so I can leave them loose around my knees until I'm ready to run the course, and then tighten them down to circulation stopping tight for the run. The braces made a huge difference in the stability of my knees; I actually felt like I could keep up with Mikey for a change!


The bad is having dogs that are sick or injured. Holly's vet appointment on Wednesday was inconclusive; I'm taking her in next Wednesday for a full panel of x-rays under light sedation. In the mean time the vet gave us some rymadel since low doses of aspirin weren't helping. She already is hardly limping at all, but I'm still getting the x-rays done. I almost don't know what to hope for; in some ways it would be better if something was going on that could be helped by surgery. I've got the money that was supposed to be for my root canals and crowns sitting in the bank, so I could find a way to pay for surgery, and I want a solution that is 'fixable'. I am afraid that if it's early arthritis at three years old, she might have years of pain ahead of her.

The other bad is my dad's older Brittaney, Bobbie. Poor sweet girl has been vomiting and having diarrhea all day today. We don't know what is wrong with her yet. She's been to the vet and got sub-Q fluids and an injection of meds to combat the diarrhea, but apparently she still can't hold down even water. They're doing blood work, but there won't be any results until tomorrow. Poor girl! She's getting older and has some old age related heart problems and arthritis; it sucks to get old! Her are some pictures of Bobbie in her prime. . . She was one HOT agility dog!

Holly and Mikey say 'Hi'.



UPDATE: Yes, my company was profiled on the 10 o clock news tonight; the story centered on a reporter for the channel that has Parkinson's and the coverage on our company was good. My parents just called to say they saw it too. Good thing they taped it because the visual on my tape seems to be all screwed up. Poo! Also, Bobbie has been able to hold down the last drink of water she had about half an hour ago, hopefully she's on the mend!

No comments: