Thursday, February 14, 2008

Course Night

This was a killer course for the handlers. The 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 line and the 12, 13, 14 line and the 16, 17, 18, 19 line were all ones were the handler had to run like he!! to keep up with their dog, which means by the time most people (me included) got to around obstacle 18, no one could breath. Poor, pathetic humans!

Mikey and I had a little trouble with the 2 to 3 turn and the tire to dog walk the first time we ran the course. I chose the outside line for 2 to the A-frame to the tunnel because Mikey still gets a little insecure with the A-frame and by going outside I could run along pretty close to him and the A-frame, but taking the inside line would have meant that I would have to swing far away because of the tunnel sticking out on that side. The problem was that I would lead out almost to jump 2 and then start running and I kept going out to far before turning to the A-frame, which kept lining Mikey up for the tunnel instead of the A-frame. And the problem from the tire to the dog walk had to do with a little over confidence in my boy. Mikey has never been a tunnel sucker (meaning the dog goes for the tunnel even when you say to do another obstacle because it's fun) and he is normally totally responsive to my verbal commands; so I just expected that the tire to the dog walk would be no problem and kept too much forward momentum and made a sloppy turn, which pushed him into the tunnel.

The second time we ran the course we nailed everything. I turned a little earlier to turn to the A-frame, and I pulled up hard and started my turn for the dog walk right at the tire (in fact I pulled up so hard and turned so sharply that Mikey started to turn back toward me after the tire) so Mikey was right on for the dog walk. We were both really on for the second course; one of those 'feel good' runs were everything flows just right!

Currently reading 'The King's Pleasure' by Nora Lofts.

Holly and Mikey say 'Hi.'

No comments: