Sunday, November 18, 2007

My Girl

I realize that an awful lot of space in this blog is devoted to Mikey. 'Cause, you know, Mikey is exciting, and busy, and always up to something. Mikey is kind of like some people I know. They walk into a room and are immediately the center of attention. Much like in real life, Holly's more quiet nature takes a back seat to Mikey's more in you face personality. But lest you think she also takes a back seat in my life, let me tell you about my heart dog.

The day I brought little Holly home I had been laid off for three months, and just three short weeks prior, I had put my nearly 14 year old Doberman, Misty, to sleep. Puppy training and just hanging out, going everywhere with me to experience lots of new environments, puppy classes and later beginner obedience classes, and tracking classes, walks on the bayou and naps together; we had our own little daily schedule that revolved totally around Holly. She helped me keep my sanity through a time that could have been one the hardest times in my life.

And Holly and I just real get each other. Holly is sweet and gentle, and feisty and tough. She can be a perfect, gentle angel with strange dogs and strange people and then turn around a few minutes later and drag Mikey across the room by the scruff of his neck and then tell me off at the top of her voice the next minute. Holly knows how to appreciate a good meal and a soft spot on the couch, but she's ready for action if you are. She has very strong sense of her own dignity and a wicked sense of humor. She really adores 'her' people, but new people really have to work hard to win her over. Lot's of mornings I wake up to find her sharing my pillow. If I'm lucky and she's still asleep, I can feel her soft breath puffing against my cheek. Oh, and if she is already awake, when I roll over she will give a sharp poke to let me know it's time to get up and get on with the day. Whenever you ask for her a kiss, she lifts her little head up and gives you the most delicate and gentle touch on your nose with her nose. And if you have been a really good human girl, she might add a tiny little kiss too.


5 comments:

Traci said...

I can totally relate to your tribute to Holly.... that's great that you're taking the time to appreciate her here :) I often wake to find Sedona sharing a pillow with me.... I love those moments :)
Hugs to Holly :)

Jennifer said...

Sometimes it seems like time passes so fast, I try to conciously appreciate the little moments. I know the nearly 14 years with my old Doberman, Misty, seemed like a blink of an eye by the time we got to the very end.

Unknown said...

Ok, so you made me cry. But, tears can be a good thing!

Anonymous said...

Awww....Holly is a great little dog and I am sure she doesn't mind all the attention Mikey gets :o) But I know where you are coming from, I mostly blog about the corgis 'cause they do stuff, and Kate (my shepherd) almost never gets mentioned...but she knows shes loved and appreciated!

I need orange said...

Awwww. What a cutie. Makes me hunger for puppy breath.......