Monday, January 22, 2007

Adventures in Oral Hygiene

Yes, oral hygiene has been much on my mind lately. My mom broke a tooth last week and has been going through hell to get it fixed. I broke two teeth around Christmas of last year, and started '06 with two root canals, which totally wiped out my dental coverage for the year. I have been waiting to get two other teeth worked on until the new year, and now that it's here I guess it's time to face the music (especially considering that one tooth has been aching off and on for months).

All this has put a bug in my ear about how lax I have been with oral hygiene routines for the Cardis. Grooming, check. Nail care once a week, check. Regular physical exercise and mental stimulation, check, check. A nutritious and varied diet, check. Veterinary care as needed, check. Regular at home dental cleaning. . . well I have toothpaste and a tooth brush for each, but that isn't going to cut it. So tonight we started building a new habit, regular brushing. Nobody enjoyed it, but I'm sure if we keep at it we'll get better. And I won't have to feel guilty about skipping out on a very important part of the Cardis health.

In other news, there isn't any news. Agility class was canceled last Thursday because the agility field had turned into a small pond, and the forecast for this week isn't looking so good either. This could go on for weeks folks, because it is Mikey's turn. Both dogs are at about the same level right now, so I alternate every week who gets to go to class. And I swear, if it's Mikey's turn there's gonna be rain. It's like he's got bad weather karma.

Holly and Mikey say 'Hi' and Holly says 'See my freshly brushed teeth, you can't play tug with rotten teeth!'




No comments: