Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Agility and Fog

Oh yes, tricky tricky, tricky!

Man, Cardigans may not be able to keep up with other dogs in a straight line, flat out run, but they handle like a sports car and can turn on a dime! The two places that we had trouble on this course were at the weaves and once doing the 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 combo. Part of the problem with the weaves was just typical Mikey, getting a little too eager and popping out at the last few poles. But the other problem was figuring out the line from jump 3 to the weaves. There was just barely room between the A-frame and jump 3 for a human body, and if you were running with any speed, this space seemed even smaller. But. . . taking the outside line around jumps 1, 2, and 3 meant that you had both a longer running distance than your dog and that you had to guide your dog into the weaves diagonally (which is bad if your dog doesn't reliably do independent weave entries). We all ran this course twice, so I tried both lines and didn't really like either one. I saw both lines tried by other people in my class, and lots of people had trouble with either line too.

And then the 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12 combo. The first time through I did a threadle through 8, 9 and 10 and then tried a front cross from 11 to 12 and planned to go between jumps 12 and 8 to get Mikey to the tunnel. But. . . I didn't give myself enough room to get around jump 12 in a strait line so Mikey got way out ahead of me and spun in a circle after jump 12 like 'Where do I go now?' So we stopped and I retried starting from jump 8 again and this time I tried a back cross from 11 to 12 and I cut between jumps 12 and 10 to shorten my running line to the tunnel. This worked really well but. . . I really had to haul butt to catch up to Mikey before he came out of the other end of the tunnel. So when we ran our second course I tried the front cross again, but from further out ahead of jump 11, so that I had a nice strait line for my path from the front cross strait to the tunnel, and that seemed to be the best option for me. Mikey and I had a great time and I love figuring out these kinds of options.

Oh, and it was soooo humid that there was actually fog coming up from the grass, just like in a scary movie. Yes, our temps have been consistently in the mid 80's since last week, but the good news is that we're getting a significant cold front in, so Thanksgiving will be in the 50's.

Now just to keep fingers crossed that the cool weather holds out for next weekend's show (Dec. 1 and 2) so that I can work out of the back of my car instead of having to set up crates inside. Holly is entered in Rally both days (hopefully she will finish her novice title on Saturday and I can move her up to advanced on Sunday) and Mikey is entered in breed both days. Mikey shows at 8 on Saturday and 12:35 on Sunday and Holly shows at 11:30 on Saturday and 11:35 on Sunday. Mmmm hmmm, we're going to cutting it real close on Sunday. Plus, my dad has his dog Meg, entered in Novice at the same show, and they will show at 8:50 on Saturday and 9:50 on Sunday. Busy weekend!

Currently reading 'Rhett Butler's People' by Donald McCaig.

Holly and Mikey say 'Hi'.

No comments: